I feel like a total slacker for not getting this up until today. Hopefully my Pal hasn't been waiting for it or anything! Oh! and also, I keep two blogs - this one is mostly my kniting and a little life rambling. My other is my livejournal. It's more personal stuff, but is mostly unlocked, so feel free to poke around over there as well, if you want.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love most wools, alpaca, cotton, bamboo, and am always up for trying something new. I love hand dyed and handspuns, and love yarns that are closer to the natural source of the fiber than those that are over-processed and commercial. I am not allergic to anything. I love mercerized cotton for summer knitting.
I absolutely hate acrylic - I can't wear it, so I won't generally knit with it. I'm not a fan of mohair either - awful to work with and itchy to boot. And not so much a fan of fun fur or "novelty" yarns either.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I've got a set of needle cases for all my needles. My other tools ride around in a little zippered pouch that moves from bag to bag to bag as I shift my projects around.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about 4 years now - I'm about 90% self taught. I'd claim my skill level as advanced, mostly in that I've not yet met anything I *can't* do, although there's planty out there that I choose not to.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have one for Amazon here.
I've got a few sellers favorited on etsy here as well.
5. What's your favorite scent?
I love citrus-y and other fruit scents as long as they're true and not overly sweet. Also vanilla (and other baked goods) scents for bath products and candles. Flowery scents, especially lavender gives me headaches, so I'd would prefer not to get anything flowery.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I'm more of a salty-crunchy kind of girl than a sweet tooth kind, although I'll never turn down good chocolate or Jelly Belly jelly beans, either. I also love all things coffee and cheese. Can't think of anything I'd be sad to get - odds are if I don't like it, the husband or kidlet will love it.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I am a very beginning spinner. I also do cross stitch and needlepoint, and very basic sewing.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I've got pretty eclectic musical tastes, but particularly like folk and "roots" music, much classical, but am open to nearly everything. My computer can play MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love rich colors - jewel tones and warm rich earthy tones. I don't like screamy neons and am not a fan of pastels.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married, with a 6 year old daughter. I have three cats (one who's a yarn thief), a snake, and a fish tank.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all of those except ponchos. I particularly love funky hats.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Pretty much anything and everything. I particularly love lace and socks and small things where I can experiment with wacky yarn or bright colors.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Mystery Stole (currently kicking my TAIL), tank top for my daughter (my own pattern, with lovely purple Kertzer cotton), scarf for Christmas gift (lacy etherial loveliness in my grandmother's favorite blue), socks (This is a lie. There's actually NO socks going, just about 4 different balls of sock yarn and needles riding around in my take everywhere bag).
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
My needle preference changes depending on the project and the yarn. I use circulars more often than straights, and have a love for bamboo, wood and Addis.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes to both
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Hee. about 3 1/2 years old. Soon it will all be ripped out.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving and Christmas. Arbor Day.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Those silly squished pennies you can make at tourist traps. And, you know, yarn. Other than that, not really - I never gotten into the whole collecting mode.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I really want the Interweave Favorite socks book. I don't have any subscriptions to magazine, but usually end up picking up Interweave at my yarn shop.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'm currently trying to psych myself up to learn fair isle, as stranded colorwork is one of the few techniques I want to use but haven't done much with. I have the pattern and yarn for the insane Dale of Norway ladybug sweater at home and just can't bring myself to cast on for it.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter. Love them! I don't know my exact measurements, but I wear a size 9 shoe and have wide feet.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Yes - I'm siercia there too.