Saturday, February 16, 2008

C is for...

C is for Cheese
Cheeeeeeese!


C was a tough one, because there are many choices I could use for C. Cotton, cats, Cosmo (one of the three cats), corriedale (the fiber I learned to spin with) are just a few. But cheese. Cheese and I go way back. When I was a kid, my mother used to laugh at me and my Dad, calling us a pair or rats, because we both loved cheese - and not just the kid friendly American and cheddar, either. I loved pretty much every one I ever tried.

Today is little different. When dining out, I'll nearly always eschew dessert in favor of the cheese plate (unless that was my appetizer). I own a cookbook that is entirely Grilled Cheese recipes. I have encountered one cheese in my life so far that I didn't like (and even that one, I could have developed a taste for it, I bet, but I wasn't in a headspace to force it that day.), and I've gone out of my way to find cheeses that are hard to love.

I'm blessed (though my waistline is not) to have a little wine and cheese shop right down the street from my office. It's no Formaggio Kitchen, but it's close, the owner knows and loves cheese as much as I do, and they can always be counted on to have something delicious. They know me by name.

Someday, I will learn to make my own. Until then, I'll have to content myself with enjoying the fruits of other's labor, and with lunches like these.

C is for Cheese
Grilled Cheddar and ham with fresh thyme
and mustard on whole wheat bread.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

My mouth is watering for your sandwich! YUM!
And I join your cheese love. I'm a rat from way back also. I'm glad there is no wine and cheese store near me.
:)

Rebecca said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Cheeeeeeeeeese. I'm totally with you there. Also, will you make *me* a sandwich?

Jscothammerquist said...

Oh...My...